Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Minute taking is "NOT" creative writing

I volunteered to take the minutes to a board meeting at work the other week. I valiantly told myself that typing minutes at work is kinda like writing. Why did I tell myself this? The same reason I routinely tell myself that writing grocery lists and instructions to operate the washing machine are kinda like writing. Because I'm not J K Rowling yet. In an attempt to keep enthusiasm for writing on track, I make up this positive message crap about how I actually do get paid for my writing, provided that I count policies, employment contracts, recruitment ads and minutes as writing.

I'm kidding myself, of course. None of the above are ANYTHING akin to creative writing.

I also tell myself that query letters to agents and publishers is "creative writing". It takes the pressure off the guilt I feel when I spend an entire week typing email after email enticing these people to invest in me, when that time could have been spent doing...oh I don't know, let's say, writing novels.

There's "necessary" writing, and then there's "creative" writing. Writers often dream up worlds where we do more of the creative and less of the necessary. 

Here's a few images of my ultimate writing spaces:

 
 
 
This is the kind of decor I dream about. Drool. Love the Hollywood look.


Here's the real thing:


Writers can't help but be delusional. It's in our nature to create worlds and characters that aren't real. Plus the constant rejections sort of mess with our heads.

So what sort of necessary vs creative writing is on my plate right now?


Necessary

At home:
Query letters to agents and publishers
Blog posts
Media releases


At work:
Minutes to the board meeting
Email to applicants advising them we are still considering their application
Position description
Letter to notify increase in pay


Creative

At home:
Current project - set in a dystopian and utopian world
Previous project - still working on fixing a few things
Short story about a man who charges into a heavily armed area and discovers a secret
Short story about an android who gets left behind


At work:
Ummmmm, nothing I work in HR. We're all about legislation and regulation and policy.

I wonder what sort of necessary writing Stephen King gets up to.


ABOUT THE AUTHOR

D L Richardson is the author of speculative fiction. She has three teen novels and one short story anthology published. Her first novel reached number 2 at OmniLit and number 38 at Kobo Books. Her second reached number 1 at OmniLit. Little Red Gem is her third novel and recently won 2nd place Best Books of 2013 Paranormal Cravings. She lives in Australia on the NSW south coast with her husband and dog.


Contact information

Email                   dlrichardsonbooks@bigpond.com 
Blog           www.dlrichardsonwrites.blogspot.com
Website          www.dlrichardson.com Facebook      http://goo.gl/560JXl  
Twitter              www.twitter.com/#!/DLRichardson1

No comments:

Post a Comment