Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Creative writing does not crossover into real life

A lot of the time, real life experiences cross over into an author's writing, but the same can't be said for writing experiences crossing over into the real world.


When I write, I love planting seeds throughout the story.



When I go for walks, and I di this daily with The Teeka Dog, plots and ideas germinate, and at the end of the walk I rush back into my study and type the bit of the novel I've mulled over during my walk. This often involves going back through the novel and planting seeds that will keep the reader in suspense.

You might think that a writer who likes planting seeds would be good at gardening. Not this writer, I'm afraid. Love to look at gardens, love to walk around nurseries, but can easily put down spades and shovels and return to the house and say to heck with it, weeds are plants to.


When I write, I love to tie up loose ends.



I think and think and think about the ending and how to make sure every loose thread has been stitched back into the story and neatly tied off. Leave no stone unturned, no character or sub plot hanging.

You'd thick that a writer who likes to tie up loose ends would be good at gift wrapping. Not so. If a person is lucky they get an awfully wrapped gift with tears in the paper and chunks of sticky tape. If they are unlucky they get the bag the gift came in. I'm not really into the commercial aspect of gift giving, and I've never understood the need to gift wrap. But hey, that's me.


When I write, I love to know exactly what happens.




I am the complete opposite in the real world. I love surprises. I love to turn up somewhere and have no idea what's going on and just figure it out or go home. In real life, planning and organising drive me nuts. I know how to do these things, in fact, through the various jobs I've had over the years as personal assistants I'm VERY good at organising. The thing is, when it comes to real life, I just love to go with the flow and see what happens.


What sort of things do you do in your job that don't crossover into your personal space. I'd love to hear your comments.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR

D L Richardson is the author of speculative fiction. She has three teen novels and one short story anthology published. Her first novel reached number 2 at OmniLit and number 38 at Kobo Books. Her second reached number 1 at OmniLit. Little Red Gem is her third novel and recently won 2nd place Best Books of 2013 Paranormal Cravings. She lives in Australia on the NSW south coast with her husband and dog.


Contact information

Email                   dlrichardsonbooks@bigpond.com 
Blog           www.dlrichardsonwrites.blogspot.com
Website          www.dlrichardson.com Facebook      http://goo.gl/560JXl  
Twitter              www.twitter.com/#!/DLRichardson1

No comments:

Post a Comment