Wednesday, 25 September 2013

Finding time to write blogs

As I look through my diary, which is essentially my to do list, I noticed that I had earmarked for this week to write an article about "how to find time to write blogs". I also noticed that for the past three week's I had earmarked to write articles on "how to write a successful blog", "how to create your writing space", and "how to deal with rejection".

Obviously I haven't been able to find time to write anything as I'm preparing a novel for production, yet I am making time today to write a quick blog and I'll do so by using point no. 4 below.

Here are my 5 tips on how to find time to write blogs.

1. Write your post ideas down in a diary, schedule them for each Sunday for example. It is said that if something is written down it becomes real. This is true. And at least if you end up with time to write but no ideas, you can always look back through your diary like I did, and you won't have to scratch your head to come up with ideas.

2. Get others to write the posts for you. Most writers have blogs and they are often looking for content and ways to promote their books. If you are running short of time but have ideas for blogs, invite your writer friends to write the articles for you. This way you will promote their work, and when they share the post on their site, they will end up promoting your work too.

3. Keep it simple. A blog doesn't have to be a full feature article. If time is in short supply, stick to 400 words. And to be honest, 400 words is often the perfect length for a reader who has to wade through a hundred blog sites in their coffee break.

4. Use material you already have. Every writer has a stash of short stories or bits that didn't make it to the final novel. These can be special behind the scenes features. Use photos from your story board. Whatever you use, writers love learning about other writer's experiences so it will be worth it.

5. Host regular Coffee Chats. These are a bit like getting others to write the posts for you, except that they are usually casual interviews with those in a similar field to yours. Mine are coffee chats with authors, editors, digital artists, anyone who has anything to do with writing is invited to have virtual coffee with me. You can have a standard set of questions and you can keep it to about 5 questions so there is less time for formatting. In my experience, coffee chats produce the highest number of visits to my blog so they are worth the time it takes to prepare. Which isn't much. Writers answer the interview questions and provide all the material (photos, blurbs etc) and I just have to format it.

So there you go. I thought I didn't have time to write a blog article, yet by applying my own advice I put together a quick post. Now I just need to find time to write the other posts I've missed.

Catchya!
D L


D L Richardson is the author of best selling speculative fiction. You can check out her titles at www.dlrichardson.com

1 comment:

  1. Hi, you explained the topic very well. The contents has provided meaningful information thanks for sharing info
    chat for teens

    ReplyDelete