Friday, 21 February 2014

Celebrating the small wins


Little Red Gem takes 2nd place in Battle of the Books 2013 at Paranormal Cravings. I meant to tell everyone this last year, but things got so hectic that I completely forgot. Then there was Christmas and New Year. Then it was the start of writing my next novel. Time got away but I do recall that I celebrated this little win.

I think it's important to take time out to celebrate the small successes. It's also a way of forcing myself to take a well-deserved break. I am often up early in the morning doing something at the computer - writing, editing, pitching, promoting - and I'm there until I go to bed. I get so addicted to it that these little celebrations are great for recharging my batteries.

2013 ended up being an okay year for me as far as the little wins went. Two of my novels made it to the bestsellers list at OmniLit, there were some high rankings on Kobo, and of course of my novels reached 2nd place in a reader voted battle of the books.

So how do I celebrate the little wins?

  • Usually I go out to dinner with my husband or my friends.
  • Sometimes I buy a bottle of champagne and watch TV all night long.
  • Chocolate.
  • Baking.
  • Sometimes I go shopping.
  • I make a collage and stick it on the back of my door as a reminder of what I have achieved so far.
  • I tell myself well done.
Sometimes I think the last point is overlooked, but we need to tell ourselves "well done". Writing is a solitary business. There is often nobody around to pat us on the back or to encourage us to keep going. Sometimes it's the opposite. People see how much we do for so little financial return that they try might think it's best if we chuck it all in.

Honestly, I love what I do that I wouldn't stop it for anything. Okay, maybe I'll stop it for a little bit while I celebrate a small success.

How do you celebrate your little wins?



ABOUT THE AUTHOR

D L Richardson is the author of speculative fiction. She has three teen novels and one short story anthology published. Her first novel reached number 2 at OmniLit and number 38 at Kobo Books. Her second reached number 1 at OmniLit. Little Red Gem is her third novel and recently won 2nd place Best Books of 2013 Paranormal Cravings. She lives in Australia on the NSW south coast with her husband and dog.


Contact information

Email                   dlrichardsonbooks@bigpond.com 
Blog           www.dlrichardsonwrites.blogspot.com
Website          www.dlrichardson.com
Facebook      http://goo.gl/560JXl  
Twitter              www.twitter.com/#!/DLRichardson1
 

No comments:

Post a Comment