Saturday, 23 August 2014

Top quotes from movies/books/TV shows


When was thirteen I was in a school play. I had one scene. It was a musical and therefore put on by the music teacher who was more focused on the singing and band that stage direction took a back seat and was kind of left up to the students. Yeah, as if we know what we're doing. Anyway, I was so terrified of forgetting to enter at my scene that I memorised the entire play. Despite shows like X-Factor and Idol portraying confident teens, the truth is that some teens dread the idea of being up on stage, so when the lead character pulled out one week before curtain time I stepped into the  lead role simply because I had memorised the entire play. I wasn't any good (something about lack of stage direction perhaps) but it wasn't a total disaster.

The point is, if you asked me today to recall a single line quote and I'd be stuffed. I have to write everything down now. It's possibly the reason I get a bit cynical when I read or see characters who quote verbatim long prose or poems. Like really, who can remember stuff like that? Maybe one or two quotes that really touch our hearts and minds will stay with us forever, but on the whole, I think we like to see lists of quotes from music, poems, movies, TV shows ,and books to trigger the old memory banks. 

Why do we love quotes? Because they express how we feel and think at that particular moment. Inspirational quotes can give us the courage or affirmation that we need in order to do something. Funny quotes can pick up a mood. The perfect quotes from a book can make that book remain forever in our hearts and minds. Quotes connect us with characters or people or places or time. they are in some ways the mirror with which humanity views itself.

So without further ado, here is a list of some of my favourite quote and lines from movies, books, and TV shows.

QUOTES FROM THE MOVIES:
Flash Gordon
"Flash, I love you but we only have 14 hours to save the universe." 


Blues Brothers
Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Love Actually
Karen: "Would you wait around to find out if it's just a necklace, or ir it's sex and a necklace, or worst, worst of all, it's a necklace and love? Would you stay, knowing life would always be a little bit worse? Or would you cut and run?"

Star Wars
Yoda: "Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try."



Muriel's Wedding
Muriels' sister: "You're terrible, Muriel."
[I know of a person who's children named their dog Muriel simply so they could say this line. Poor dog.]

The A-Team
Hannibal Smith: "Overkill in underrated."

Jaws
"You're gonna need a bigger boat."



QUOTES FROM TV SHOWS
Big Bang Theory:

Sheldon: "A Little Misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding."

Amy: "I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance."

Amy: "Sheldon, sometimes you forget, I'm a lady. And with that comes an estrogen-fueled need to page through thick glossy magazines that make me hate my body."

Amy: "On the bright side, every six year old there was jealous of my tiara. Not gonna lie, it felt good."

"Interesting, you're afraid of women and insects, ladybugs must render you catatonic!" - Sheldon Cooper; The Big Bang Theory provided by Rachel Sawyer from Queensland, Australia



"I'm not scared, I'm rationally concerned... there's a difference!" - Danny 'Danno' Williams; Hawaii Five O  provided by Rachel Sawyer from Queensland, Australia


Supernatural:
Dean: "Bitch."    Sam: "Jerk."

Dixon: "Can you think of a worse hell?"    Dean: "Well, there's hell."

Dracula to the pizza delivery guy: "Do you take coupons?"

Bobby: "Now have we done feeling our feelings? Because I'd like to get out of this room before we start growing lady parts."

Castiel: "Uriel's the funniest angel in the garrison. Ask anyone."

Dean: "I'm gonna go stop the big bad wolf. Which is the weirdest thing I've ever said."

Sam: "I miss conversations that didn't start with 'this killer truck'."


Bobby: "Ijiots."


QUOTES FROM BOOKS

The Outsiders: "I lie to myself all the time. But I never believe me."

Gone With The Wind: "My dear, I don't give a damn." [Frankly, there is no frankly in the book. it was added into the movie and is the first time I realised that movies don't quote verbatim from the book. Kind of a let down but I got used to it.]

Black Beauty: "We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words."

Black Beauty: "If a thing is right it can be done, and if it wrong it can be done without; and a good man will find a way."
 



Tuck Everlasting: "Life's got to be lived, no matter how long or short. You got to take what comes."

Tuck Everlasting: "Nothing ever seems interesting when it belongs to you - only when it doesn't."

To Kill A Mockingbird: "People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for."

To Kill A Mockingbird: "The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

To Kill a Mockingbird: "Atticus told me to delete the adjectives and I'd have the facts."



“What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable?” — An Abundance of Katherines (Novel); John Green (Author)  provided by Rachel Sawyer from Queensland, Australia


"Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book." - The Fault in Our Stars (Novel); John Green (Author)  provided by Rachel Sawyer from Queensland, Australia


"To love is to destroy, to be loved, is to be destroyed." The Mortal instruments (Novel series); Cassandra Clare (Author)  provided by Rachel Sawyer from Queensland, Australia


More quotes will be added to this list so please check back if you'd like to read more.

Also, if you have any quotes you'd like to see included in this list please list them via the comments box and I'd be happy to include them.




ABOUT THE AUTHOR


D L Richardson is the author of speculative fiction. She has three teen novels and one short story anthology published. Her first novel reached number 2 at OmniLit and number 38 at Kobo Books. Her second reached number 1 at OmniLit. Little Red Gem is her third novel and recently won 2nd place Best Books of 2013 Paranormal Cravings. She lives in Australia on the NSW south coast with her husband and dog.


Contact information

Email                   dlrichardsonbooks@bigpond.com 
Blog           www.dlrichardsonwrites.blogspot.com
Website          www.dlrichardson.com
Facebook      http://goo.gl/560JXl  
Twitter              www.twitter.com/#!/DLRichardson1












No comments:

Post a Comment