Thursday, 28 August 2014

Write what you love, plus chance to win signed print book

We've heard that adage "write what you love" and there's a reason writers are told this. Because writing what we love means we're being true to our hearts. And if we're true to our hearts then our writing won't suffer. Nor will the readers.

We can't kid ourselves. Well, we can but not forever. Whenever we lie to ourselves it's only a matter of time before the truth surfaces. Many books and movies also back me up on this. One big area where people kid themselves is in relationships. We often adapt our beliefs/principals/opinions/behaviour to suit someone else or to keep the peace or so they won't find out that we're not perfect. Invariably our true self comes home with a slam of the door, a stomp of the feet, and a defiant holler of 'honey I'm home'. Sometimes the triumphant return of our true self is to our detriment. If only we'd presented our real self at the beginning of the relationship we wouldn't have to cook food we don't eat for a bunch of friend we don't like to praise the win of a sporting team we don't give two hoots about.

Writers should never kid themselves either. If you're not a fan of bodice-ripping romance, then don't write one. You won't be doing your readers any favours by trying to pull the wool over their eyes. You won't do yourself any favours when you're interviewed about why you write bodice-ripping romance and you say that you do it because it seemed an easy way to get published, as opposed to writing it because you love it. I know. I wrote YA novels when I really wanted to write for adults. At the time, I couldn't get the words on the page, yet they  flowed when I wrote the words in the POV of a teenager. I love my YA novels and my YA characters, but I feel a sense of relief that I'm finally writing a few novels for adult readers.

Readers want to know that the author loved putting those words on the page. I loved putting the words on the pages of my YA books, so maybe I do love them in the same way that I can love all models of a certain car.

For example, my favourite car in the world in the Corvette. Some models that I prefer over others, but overall there isn't a bad Corvette. I love their curves, their elegance, the horsepower. I watch Less Than Zero just to see the Corvette the characters drive around in. I ogle them if they're ever on the road. I saw a yellow one parked on the street last week and I was sorely tempted to stand beside it and have my photo taken. So if I love all models of Corvette, then it's fair to say that I love writing for both teens and adults. As long as the genre is what I love.

Are you getting that I love Corvettes? The passion and enthusiasm shows in the way I speak about them, doesn't it? It's the same with writing. If I'm only mildly enthusiastic about, say crime novels, then I should never attempt to write one, no matter how popular they are. Because when I'm asked about my writing, I want the passion to come through. I write speculative fiction. Why? Because I love it.

That's not to say that I don't like contemporary fiction. But when it comes to writing I can't find the voice. I need to find the voice or readers will see through the lie.

I recently spoke to a group of writers and the feedback was that my passion for writing shone through. It's true that I love writing. And I love sharing my tips with other writers. Anyone who wants to be a writer must love what they do. The road to publication is a long, long, long one. They can build cities in less time. And the successes are few and far between. So we write because we love it.

We must also write what we love. I am a huge fan of shows like Supernatural, Star Trek, Doctor Who. Can you see the pattern? Paranormal and science fiction are two genres that I love. So I write paranormal and I write science fiction. My second novel, Feedback is a blend of paranormal and science fiction. My current project is science fiction. I have started writing contemporary and it has been shoved in the drawer that many times that it's apparent I might not have what it takes to write contemporary fiction. I might not have the passion for it.

I hope that you know a little more about why writing what you love is important. And I hope you can see that I love what I write about.


To show how much I love what I write about, for all of September and October I'm giving readers the chance to win a signed print copy of my first published novel The Bird With The Broken Wing. The entry details are below. Contest starts soon. Be sure to check back tomorrow to enter.


a Rafflecopter giveaway





ABOUT THE AUTHOR



D L Richardson is the author of speculative fiction. She has three teen novels and one short story anthology published. Her first novel reached number 2 at OmniLit and number 38 at Kobo Books. Her second reached number 1 at OmniLit. Little Red Gem is her third novel and recently won 2nd place Best Books of 2013 Paranormal Cravings. She lives in Australia on the NSW south coast with her husband and dog.



Contact information

Email                   dlrichardsonbooks@bigpond.com 
Blog           www.dlrichardsonwrites.blogspot.com
Website          www.dlrichardson.com
Facebook      http://goo.gl/560JXl  
Twitter              www.twitter.com/#!/DLRichardson1

No comments:

Post a Comment