Wednesday, 19 November 2014

Countdown to Christmas, author message

Sorry that my blog site has resembled a billboard for book releases lately. I belong to a very productive and supportive author group and a part of being in that group is providing exposure to their work. I'm so happy and thrilled every time they release a new book. And they're not slowing down.

Plus I've been busy completing my current WIP. I'm halfway through Book Two. I don't want to give anything away yet because Book One is with Momentum Publishing (a division of Pan Macmillan) for consideration and I don't want to jinx it.

Anyway, it's coming into the Christmas season. Everyone is shoving gifts in our faces (me too, let's be honest I have to earn money so if you are looking to purchase books I have six of them to choose from hint/hint) when it's nobody's birthday except baby Jesus's. And we place a bigger emphasis on the appearance of the food on the Christmas table than on the guests around it. We send ourselves insane with completing everything before the guests arrive that we're too exhausted to talk to them.

There's a reason why Christmas is called the silly season.

I was accused of "taking the Christ out of Christmas" when I sent out my Nov/Dec newsletter this week. The message was about humanity and I didn't once mention Christ. Sorry, Jesus. It is your birthday we're celebrating, after all. Am I upset that someone unsubscribed from my newsletter because "I took the Christ out of Christmas"? Absolutely not. People are entitled to their opinions and thank God some of us live in a place where we can express them.

While authors are writing stories about love and Christmas romance, this has sparked an idea to write a story about a character who takes the Christ out of Christmas. It'll be fun to write something dark about this jolly time of year.

That's what I'll be doing this weekend. I'm preparing for the silly season by recharging the batteries with a quiet few days camping on a lake. Pen and paper - no laptop. A book in one hand and a glass of wine in the other. And all the serenity I can handle. Unless it rains.

How do you prepare for Christmas? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for reading!
D L Richardson

 

About the Author
 
D L Richardson is the author of speculative fiction. She has six books published. The Bird With The Broken Wing reached number 2 at OmniLit and number 38 at Kobo Books. Feedback reached number 1 at OmniLit. Little Red Gem was 2nd place Best Books of 2013 Paranormal Cravings and the book trailer which features an original song performed by the author appeared on USA Today website. She lives in Australia on the NSW south coast with her husband and dog.

Contact information

Email                   dlrichardsonbooks@bigpond.com 
Blog               www.dlrichardsonwrites.blogspot.com
Website         www.dlrichardson.com
Facebook          http://goo.gl/560JXl  
Twitter              www.twitter.com/#!/DLRichardson1 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment