Monday, 5 January 2015

Writing multiple books at once

For years, I baulked at joining a writer's group because I didn't want my writing to be overshadowed by the idea of sitting around sipping cups of tea while critiquing writing - that sounded too much like a book club, not a writer's group. But at last I succumbed and joined the local group. And I'm glad I did, though I do follow my instinct and if my gut tells me now is a good time, then now is a good time.

We've had one meeting so far, it was a combined Christmas get together as well as writer's session so it wasn't the usual session. They were doing edits of an anthology they had put together to release for Christmas, and since I had joined that night, it was too late for me to submit a story. However, it was good to turn up to this session as a participant and get a feel for the group. Plus the story they edited, one tale as told in different perspectives by each of the ,members, was intriguing and I was sorry that I had to leave early. But it was getting late and I had to go to work the following morning.

Our first session for 2015 should be being held next week, and from what I understand we each submit around 1000 words for critique by the rest of the members. Considering I'm halfway through Book two of a four book series, I've decided to write a novel in conjunction with my current project. And since I won't have the time to write two novels at once I thought I'd submit the first 2000 words of each chapter to the group, and this was I can also gauge interest. If I can't hook readers in the first 2000 words of each chapter, then I run the risk of not capturing them at all.

And then later on I can go back in and fill in the blanks.

So my question is this: Have you written multiple books at once?

The Creative Penn has an article on how to write more than one book at a time. http://www.thecreativepenn.com/2012/08/29/work-on-more-than-one-book/

What tools did you find effective? Was the process worth it?

And what about readers who read multiple books at the same time. I'm guilty of that. I'm currently reading Magician by Raymond E Feist and I'm midway through The Twelve by Justin Cronin.


Agent turned author, Nathan Bransford received a lot of responses when he asked the question if readers cheat on books by reading other books. http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2014/04/do-you-read-multiple-books.html


No comments:

Post a Comment