Wednesday, 17 June 2015

Submitting to agents - part II

A week ago I began submitting to agents for my latest novel. I spoke in the previous post about submitting in batches of 5 to 8 agents. This way you can get an idea if the pitch isn't working, or if the sample pages you sent aren't intriguing enough.

I thought I would give an update on the progress so far.


 
Number of agents pitched to: 43, though 2 have since closed to submissions, so 41
 
Number of replies so far: 7
 
Number of partials requested: 1
 
 

Most interesting rejection:
 

Unfortunately, it is not right for my list.  However, I wish you the best luck in your search for the right agent (and hope to see you in print soon).
My response: Huh? Isn't wishing to see me in print kinda what the agent's task is?
 
Well, there you go. Part II of Pitching to agents in a nutshell.
Pitching to agents is a rough and rocky road. don't let anyone tell you it's easy. On the positive side, agents are much faster at responding than publishers. Agents read the submissions, and most will send a reply. Read these replies carefully as there may be hidden meanings.
What could make the pitching easier?
If I didn't have a full time job at the moment. The job is winding up but before that happens I'm working full time. So I can only submit to about 5 agents per night. But, as I mentioned this does give me the chance to teak my pitches.
If I had a faster internet connection. Do not let anyone from Australia dare tell you that we have fast internet. We don't. Turkeys bake faster than it takes to load an image to a blog site, hence why there are no images.
If I knew somebody who knew somebody who was looking for somebody that they knew who wrote a book.
I'll keep you updated. I'm off ot submit to a few more agents tonight.
In the next post I'll share with you my resources for where I got the agent information from. Stay tuned.
And best of luck to you if you are pitching to agents. I'd love to hear how you're going.
D L Richardson

No comments:

Post a Comment