Hello and welcome to the end of the year.
Each end of year I like to read over my diary and have a look at my achievements. Why? Because one of the easiest ways to stay inspired in this writing game is to CELEBRATE THE SMALL WINS. So here goes:
- Little Red Gem went on a book tour. Do book tours work? The jury is still out on this one. They're a lot of work for little exposure. But they're also very cost effective and for an author without a big budget they do get you a small amount of exposure. So for $60 you can do a virtual book tour where something like BookBub is $270 with no guarantee of acceptance or sales.
- Website was overhauled. Yes this is a part of the job. Updating the website. I try to do it monthly to stay on top of it.
- Short story "Slip Stream" was submitted to an anthology.
- Edited book 2 of Apocalypse series and chased up publisher for status on submission of book one. Answer: still in the pile.
- Feedback went on book tour. Got a little bit of extra interest.
- Conducted a writer workshop for ACT writers Centre. Very excited by this. I love presenting workshops and this was like the door opener for me.
- Got asked to launch the anthology for the Eurobodalla Fellowship of Australia Writers anthology at the Batemans Bay Writers Festival in June.
- Noticed a spike in sales on Amazon and can only assume it had to do with the two back to back book tours.
- Came up with a ridiculous writing plan to finish 2 novels and write one novella which would have seen me write about a million words a day. Hah! Worked on the novels, still haven't gotten around to the novella.
- Oh, my birthday. I turned 45.
- Feedback still on book tour.
- Short story "Slip Stream" accepted for anthology.
- Saw Kate Forsyth at Moruya Library give a talk on her writing career.
- Made sales flyers to hand out at workshops.
- Book 1 of Apocalypse series was rejected by publisher. Began re-writes.
- Launched the anthology for Eurobodalla FAW at writers festival.
- Conducted a writer workshop for Queanbeyan Writers Group.
- Sent queries to agents for Apocalypse series and got a request for a partial.
- Conducted a writer workshop at Merimbula for Writers of the far South Coast.
- Did a radio interview for the workshop.
- Heard back from an agent and went into re-write mode for book 1 of Apocalyptic series.
- Attended the weekend writers retreat with the Writers of the Far South Coast.
- Learned that this is dead month so you don't submit to agents. So I didn't.
- Got busy on the rewrite of book 1 and began edits for book 2 of Apocalyptic series.
- Was invited to a local book club to speak about my books. Got a free dinner.
- Attended OzComicCon for the pure personal pleasure of being amongst my kindred spirits.
- The Bird With The Broken Wing was reviewed as part of a Goodreads Review Group.
- Still doing re-writes of book one of the Apocalypse series.
- Conducted a workshop at the Conflux writer and reader spec fic convention.
- Sat on the panels of the Conflux writer and reader spec fic convention.
- More re-writes. Then husband had a bike accident and the rest of the month was spent writing and playing nursemaid.
- Lots of edits on the Dystopian series.
- Submitted the updated version of book 1 on the Apocalyptic series to agent in New York. (I never grow tired of saying that).
- Wrote an opening chapter for the novella our writers group is putting together.
- More edits for Dystopian series. giving myself a deadline of end January.
- Attending the ACT Writers Centre Christmas party.
Well, that's it for this year. It's been busy and productive. Each year I do this to see that I've improved on the year before. So I'm on my way. The journey is a long one but it is immensely rewarding.
Have a lovely Christmas if I don't speak to you before then.