Monday, 17 October 2016

Coffee chat with A.B. Shepherd, author of The Beacon - Aussie indie author spotlight


I'm talking with Aussie indie authors in my virtual cafe, where we'll talk about books, writing, what makes us laugh, and most importantly, how we have (or not in some cases) our coffee.

Today I'd like to welcome A.B Shepherd (aka Abie) to my virtual coffee chat room. She's new to Australia, having grown up in Michigan US, and she moved to Australia is 2009. She lives on the Limestone Coast, and I have to admit that I don't know where that is so I'm keen to learn about a hidden Aussie gem. I had to Google it.

Limestone Coast is South Australia. Ocean views, natural rock, lighthouses and stunning scenery make up this part of Australia.


I've just poured myself a cup of percolated coffee and I take it without milk and with one sugar. Now let's meet Abie.

Welcome Abie.

 DL: Since this a virtual coffee chat, how do you have your coffee? Are you a morning or afternoon person?
 
Abie: I actually don’t like coffee. I grew up with parents who smoked and drank tons of coffee. I used to sip on my mum’s who loved hers sweet and white, and now I feel like coffee has an ashy aftertaste. Sad, isn’t it? I do, however, love a hot Milo in the morning.

DL: "The Beacon" is about being shipwrecked on an island.  Did living on the Limestone Coast region of South Australia influence your choice of setting?
 
Abie: I love the Limestone Coast and it’s beaches especially, but no, they were not my inspiration. Or at least only indirectly. It’s lighthouses that have always fascinated me. I always thought it would be romantic to live in a remote lighthouse somewhere, and my love of that fantasy was the initial inspiration for "The Beacon".

DL: You have notes for book club discussion in your books. Do you get much chance to visit with book clubs?
 
Abie: I wish I got more opportunity to visit with book clubs. While travel is a bit awkward for me, I’m up for a good virtual meeting with a book club anytime, so please let your readers know if they are interested to shoot me an email and we can set something up.

ATTENTION BOOK CLUBBERS - If you're interested in a virtual book club meeting, please email A. B Shepherd by clicking on this link, or you can email TheRealABShepherd@hotmail.com

DL: The blurb reads: How far would you go to help a friend? What's the craziest thing you've ever done to help a friend?
 
Abie: Crazy, yes and also a bit silly, but when my friend Jane (her real name) and I were in our first year of Uni she had a huge crush on this guy and I helped her toilet paper his house! She got to help clean up the mess. 😊

DL: How long have you been writing? And what is your biggest achievement so far?
 
Abie: I’ve always written, at least in a journal, and I attempted writing novels several times throughout the years, but it wasn’t until I participated in NanoWrimo a few years ago that I managed to actually finish a full draft of a novel. It’s called Lifeboat and it’s the first book I published. It became an Amazon Bestseller and I consider that my biggest writing achievement.

DL: And last question, what is your favourite biscuit and/or cake at the moment?
 
Abie: Chocolate with chocolate icing – hands down and always. Thanks for hosting me Debbie, in spite of my aversion to coffee I always love a good chat.

DL: It's been my pleasure Abie. Keep in touch with your future writing projects.


Abie's book is "The Beacon"
https://www.amazon.com/Beacon-B-Shepherd-ebook/dp/B00GLG4QV6/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
 
Shipwrecked on a deserted island.
 
How far would you go to help a new friend? Would you kill someone?
How do you know what is and isn't real?
When The Beacon beckons safe harbour isn't guaranteed.
 
 
Follow A.B Shepherd

 
Thanks so much, Abie, for stopping by and sharing a virtual cup of milo for you and coffee for me. Good luck with your writing.
 
D L
 

7 comments:

  1. Interesting interview - thanks Abbie and Debbie. The premise of Beacon sound interesting. Wondering Abbie if you've read Light Between the Oceans by M L Stedman - set on the remote Janus Island lighthouse (Western Australia)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Jeanette - I have not read Light Between the Oceans. Have you? Would you recommend it? I will have to check that out!

      Delete
    2. Abbie - I have. It's a great book with a major moral dilemma and brilliant description.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for dropping by Jeanette. To me, lighthouses are such lonely places. Which makes them ripe pickings for authors.
    D L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good interview. Will be checking out the book! Sounds like a good read, maybe not at night though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Nikki.

      Delete
    2. Hi Nikki - thanks for the comment. If you decide to read it, I hope you'll let me know what you think. I've yet to have anyone tell me it gave them nightmares, so you might be safe at night. ;)

      Delete