Monday, 16 January 2017

Coffee with with Lyn Spiteri, Aussie author of Ya fantasy Watchful Realm


Welcome to my virtual café. I am sitting down with a black coffee fresh from my plunger. By the time you read this I'll have just finished a radio interview where I've talked about the success of these coffee chats.
 
Some stats - while many of these authors here drink tea, there are still more coffee drinkers. dropping into my café. Most writers eat either a biscuit or cake, with "anything chocolate" a favourite, and since most of the featured writers are Aussies the Pavlova, the Anzac biscuit, and the Tim Tam get special mentions.

Dropping into my virtual café today is Melbourne based author of young adult fantasy, Lyn Spiteri. Welcome Lyn.
 
DL: This is a coffee chat. How do you take your coffee, and what is your favourite time of the day to partake?

​LYN: I'm afraid I don't actually drink coffee! I'm definitely a tea drinker though and normally in the morning. In the words of Captain Picard -- though slightly tweaked -- Tea. English Breakfast. Hot. ​

DL: I see that you are a  musician. What instrument do you play? And now that you're writing, do you still have time to play?


LYN: My main instrument is the clarinet, which I love. It is such an expressive and versatile instrument. Thankfully I do have time to play; once a week with my beloved Westgate Concert Band and generally almost every day while sharing the joy of music through my teaching. ​

DL: What made you join a Facebook group for writers? And how helpful has this been to have access to other writers?


LYN: I initially joined to network a little and see what else is out there; what other authors are doing and how they are approaching the entire process. ​It has been really interesting to read the other chats, see what sort of questions get thrown around a community of authors and feel that sense of support. 

DL: Your debut novel "Watchful Realm" is young adult. Was writing for this age group influenced by your day job as a teacher?


LYN: I wouldn't say it was directly influenced, although I would imagine residually I was hopeful that the story would appeal broadly and represent interesting characters for young readers. I remember growing up and finding a large variety of genres and authors appealing as a reader. ​Some of my students have really enjoyed reading the book!

DL: And lastly, are you a biscuit or cake kind of person? And what is your favourite biscuit/cake?

​LYN: It is probably super boring of me but I can't really go past scotch fingers. Cheap, tea-accompanying and simple.  ​

Thanks Lyn. We wish you the best of luck in your future writing.


ABOUT THE AUTHOR
 
 
Lyn Spiteri is a teacher, musician, twin and self-proclaimed Star Wars tragic. She loves car-singing, being a concert band nerd and getting obsessed with television, film and music theatre. She hates parallel parking, people who chew with their mouth open and vapid book heroines.
 
ABOUT THE BOOK
 

 
INVISIBLE TO US, THE WATCHERS WITNESS AND RECORD THE LIVES OF THE HUMANS BELOW.
Lyssa belongs to a generally peaceful population of otherworldly and gifted beings who occupy a world above our own. Lyssa is a Watcher, assigned to document all incarnations of Jasper's existence, and at the end of each life, she visits and assists her charge through their reincarnation. With each rebirth, Jasper forgets Lyssa.
Desperate to save the man she loves, Lyssa pierces the protective Veil between the worlds but an ancient evil of the world above unfurls a vengeful plan of destruction. Jasper and Lyssa struggle to untangle the web of his previous incarnations and realise the extent of their love, which has a very real manifested power in forcing the darkness back
 
READ MORE ABOUT THE BOOK
 
CONNECT WITH THE AUTHOR 
 
 
Thank you for stopping by. It's almost biscuit time! D L xox
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting premise. Thanks Lynn and Debbie for the interview

    ReplyDelete