Saturday, 8 April 2017

Thinking of revamping your book covers? You may want to hire a professional like I eventually did

I recently made the decision to revamp my back catalogue book covers and the blurbs because I'm heading to SupaNova Sydney in June and I wanted to take my back catalogue with me. But I had to be honest, the covers were lacking. The beauty of being a self published author is that we can correct things if they're not working. The tragic part of being a self-published author is lack of funds.
 
A side note here - Often the difference between a blockbuster movie and an independent film is funding. Same with self-published books. Great content can be overlooked simply because an author doesn't have the money to buy a great cover, or hire a top-notch editor, or pay for a course of writing killer descriptions.
 
I'm guilty of not possessing an endless bucket of funds. Hence why when two of my YA titles reverted back to me, I did the book covers myself. The reason for this was that I wanted to get them up on Amazon quickly so I didn't lose the reviews. I didn't have the money to buy professional covers and I didn't think any of the generic covers suited. Anyway, my covers served their purpose or retaining the reviews, but they didn't attract any sales despite a blog tour and ads.
 
BOOK NUMBER ONE
I'll show you the all 3 book covers for my first published novel The Bird With The Broken Wing.
 
Publisher version
I loved this cover from the moment I laid eyes on it. Alas, I did not own the cover and did not get the rights to use it once it was dropped.
Cover design by Eithne Ni Anluain
 
Author version
I played with a few covers but this is the one that I ended up using for the past year. 
 
Professional digital artist version
NEW BOOK COVER!!!!
I wanted to recapture the beauty of the publisher version and also to have a stunning cover that people would want to click on or pick up the print copy, and this is the result.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NONXPO8
 
cover design by Ryn Katryn digital art

 
BOOK NUMBER TWO
Now I'll show you the all 3 book covers for my second published novel Feedback.
 
Publisher version
When this cover was emailed to me, I understood how little an author can have input into a book cover design. It was a nice cover, but it wasn't what I'd been expecting and it didn't represent the story. 
Cover design by Eithne Ni Anluain
 
Author version
In an attempt to capture what I'd really wanted, it took many mock ups and failures but this is the one that I ended up using for the past year.
 
Then I decided it needed a change of name because Feedback didn't explain anything about the book, and you had to read the book to get the reference. That's fine if people are buying the book. They weren't. So I changed it to the title I had almost changed it to when it was accepted by the publisher, Resident Spy.
 
Professional digital artist version
NEW BOOK COVER!!!!
I wanted to capture the image of three teens and the element of the supernatural, along with the change of name, and this is the result.

https://www.amazon.com/Resident-Spy-D-L-Richardson-ebook/dp/B00NNPVBJI/
 
cover design by Ryn Katryn digital art

 
BOOK NUMBER THREE
 
Now I'll show you the all 3 book covers for my third published novel Little Red Gem.
 
Little Red Gem never found a home with a publisher so it was first self-published title. I still didn't have the funds to buy a cover so I created my own.
 
Author version
This was my first attempt at designing covers.
 
Then I decided it needed a change of name because Little Red Gem didn't explain anything about the book, and you had to read the book to get the reference. That's fine if people are buying the book. They weren't. So I changed it to the title to One Little Spell
 
Professional digital artist version
NEW BOOK COVER!!!!
I wanted to capture something that would make people want to pick up the book and just hand over money for it.

https://www.amazon.com/One-Little-spell-D-Richardson-ebook/dp/B00FUMQDUO/
 
cover design by Ryn Katryn digital art
I'll be honest, it cost me $350 (AUD) for all three professionally designed book covers, and while I love them, I still have my fingers crossed that they'll be a worthwhile investment in the long run. The purpose of the book cover is to attract readers to click on the ebook link or to pick up the print copy. Time will tell, but I have faith these new covers will work wonders for me. I'm already seeing results only after a few weeks.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment