Saturday, 29 April 2017

What book to write next

As I write this post, I'm 20 pages off the final edit for Welcome to the Apocalypse Book 2. Then it's a read through and a proof read and finally load up to Amazon in time to make the deadline of June 8.

Naturally, once this is done I'll have a ten minutes break and start working on Book 3. But I think I'm going to sneak in a little in-between story. with the recent relaunch of all my back catalogue, I've discovered a couple of sleepers that have awoken.

Poison in the Pond, my horror novella is doing rather well. So is my YA spy adventure novel Resident Spy.

Which leads me to the question of "Which book do I write next?" Let's face it, when books are selling, I should get stuck into writing more of those books.

Poison in the Pond commenced life as one of the very first novels I'd ever written, and after it had sat in a drawer for many ears, I decided to edit it and publish it. Turned out to not be as good as I recall so many, many, many words were cut. The end result was a 30,000 word novella. And I've always wanted to write more stories, just not continuing, rather a series of titles themed around the four elements.

Water - Poison in the Pond
Fire - Evil in the Embers
Air - Wicked in the Wind (you get the drift)
Earth - Danger in the Dirt (or something like that)

Resident Spy is also picking up some sales. This book has the potential to be a series, but I have to be honest, when I first published it, I had planned a series but then the publisher wasn't doing any promotion so I held off on writing a follow up book because they had first option.

So that's my dilemma. Of course I'm writing Book 3 of Welcome to the Apocalypse because that's still my best seller so far. But I also need to work on additional titles to my back catalogue.

What do I write next? YA spy adventure, or horror novella.

As well as seeing where the muse takes me, I'll also be applying the tips I've learned over the years to get a first draft written quickly. Write the overview and fill in the blanks. Aim to write 1,000 words per day and I'll have the first draft of the 30K novella written.

No comments:

Post a Comment