Saturday, 20 May 2017

Favourite Author vs Favourite Book

Favourite author vs Favourite book

I have favourite authors and I have favourite books. And I think the two can be completely separate because you can like one piece of a collection or you can like the entire collection.
 
Just like we have favourite songs but we might not listen to the rest of the album. I'm thinking "More Than Words" by Extreme and "Foolish Games" by Jewel. I love these songs. I could listen to them over and over, but I don't listen to the rest of their music.
 
Just like my favourite songs, a favourite book for me is something that I read and absolutely loved. I own a copy, I will never part with a copy, I will re-read it once or twice in my lifetime. I will still cry, smile, root for the characters, and I may even discover things I didn’t pick up on the first read. Quite often it’s just that I haven’t bought any more books by these authors or that they haven’t written anything.

With a favourite book, the individual parts are worth more than the sum.
 
 
Some of my favourite books include:

"To Kill A Mockingbird"
"The Hobbit"
"Black Beauty"
"One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest"
"The Hunger Games" trilogy
"The Outsiders"

A favourite author is an author I wouldn’t necessarily claim have written the best books on the planet. But I like the writing style and so I purchase their other books.

These are books that I can buy and know I’ll read and keep in my collection, but I wouldn’t say that all of their books rock my world. They may have one or two in the collection that do.

With a favourite author, the sum is greater than the individual parts.
 

Some of my favourite authors include:
 
Dean Koontz
Stephen King
Anne Rice
Marian Keyes
Maeve Binchy
John le Carre

According to my logic, if I love a book but I have read no other books by this author then they fall into my Favourite Book category. Whereas if I have read a lot of books from a single author, they fall into my Favourite Author category. For example, Suzanne Collins, the author of the incredibly brilliant Hunger Games falls into Favourites Book category.  I haven‘t read her children’s book nor has she written anything else, yet. And Harper Lee only wrote one book so she can’t be my favourite author. And I own all of Marian Keyes books and when I checked I realized I have quite a few le Carre and Binchy novels, so they come into my Favourite Author category.
 


 
The key to becoming a Favourite author is writing lots of enjoyable books, and I suppose I’m talking standalone and multiple series. That’s probably why I’ve held off writing a series for a long while. By my own logic, I can’t become someone’s Favourite Author if I’ve only written one series. So I wrote standalone novels, and Welcome to the Apocalypse is my first series. Another series I’m writing is standalone horror novellas, sort of like Goosebumps for adults.

My aim is to become someone’s Favourite author one day. I hope it’s you.
 
Did you know:
 
Stephen King's favourite book is "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding. (I'm betting I know who his favourite author is LOL)
Anne Hathaway's favourite book is "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett
John Travolta's favourite book is "Airport" by Arthur Hailey

No comments:

Post a Comment