Tuesday, 30 May 2017

Review of Passengers movie

I finally got around to watching Passengers. Starring Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt.



The storyline:

The spaceship, Starship Avalon, in its 120-year voyage to a distant colony planet known as the "Homestead Colony" and transporting 5,258 people has a malfunction in one of its sleep chambers. As a result one hibernation pod opens prematurely and the one person that awakes, Jim Preston (Chris Pratt) is stranded on the spaceship, still 90 years from his destination. Written by Eirini

Jennifer Lawrence plays Aurora Lane, a writer.
Chris Pratt plays Jim Preston, a mechanic.

My Review:
It's tagged as Drama / Romance / Adventure / Sci-fi, and it's accurate, the movie contains all four genres.

The sci-fi is plausible and the storyline only works on a spaceship, though my author brain is just now coming up with another way I could do this. (Puts idea into idea bank).

This is not a quest movie, the adventure is present from the opening credits. They're on a spaceship to an unknown planet. You wouldn't be there if you weren't an adventurist. However, they do have to save the world, in this case the other passengers.

The drama is present from the opening scene all the way to the end. It slowly builds which might not appeal to people who want explosive action for ninety minutes, but this isn't that sort of movie. There is explosive action - it seems to follow the formula of right place right time but what Hollywood movie doesn't.

The romance is nicely done. I think this story is above all, a romance. This is the story of two people who would never have met under normal circumstances, but of course here is where the twist lies. If you took away this element, the movie wouldn't end well, not just for these two but for other 5000 people on board the spaceship. The romance is what makes you root for these characters. Forget the rest, you only care about these two. And the android Arthur is a loveable characters.

For me, Passengers is the epitome of speculative fiction.

I won't give away spoilers, even though the twist is revealed early on in the movie, but it truly does make you wonder, what would you do in this situation? That's what I look for when I read or watch sci-fi. 

I enjoyed it. It's on my "I'm glad I watched it and I'd watch it again" list. 4 stars.


Now for the bits that didn't detract from the movie but stuck in my mind : Warning, this contains spoilers though if you haven't watched it, it won't make sense.

One of the crew members makes a brief appearance. It seems as if this is done purely to get Aurora and Jim access to the bits they need for the part in the movie where they save everyone. A bit too convenient.

Aurora rescues Jim from outside the ship. She would have to drag him all the way to the medical centre (but we don't see this) and lift him onto the hospital bed (we don't see this). Now, I don't know about you, but I have trouble lifting a 20 KG bag of cement. This is one of those things I always notice in films and TV.

Why didn't they have any kids? This was just a question that stuck in my mind and when you get to the final scene you'll understand why.

I did enjoy it. It's worth the watch.






No comments:

Post a Comment