Sunday, 25 June 2017

Review of Suicide Squad the movie

Pop culture is such that we often know something about a movie before we've even watched it. As is the case with Suicide Squad. Recently at SupaNova Sydney, there were many Harley Quinn and Joker characters walking around. I hadn't yet seen the movie but I knew who these characters were.

I finally got around to watching Suicide Squad, a movie based on DC comics antiheroes, directed by David Ayer.

Main stars:
Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and Jared Leto. I'm an Aussie so it's always wonderful to see an Aussie actress like Margot doing great in Hollywood. Watching it, I'm like "Go Margot" like I know her personally or something. It's an Aussie thing. Like that's "our Russell" or "our Margot" or "our Nicole". Go Margot!!


Plotline:

In the aftermath of Superman's death, an elite squad of dangerous criminals is created to fight the metahumans and save the world from a powerful threat, in exchange for reduced sentences.

First off. Whoah. Superman is dead. I was trying to get over my most loved super hero character being dead when the movie started. Talk about going blindly into this. But I told myself to put that aside and enjoy the story. Take deep breaths. Superman can't die. Okay, get over and move on.

So the story is that a secret agency sets up a task force of criminals it considers dispensable in order to be ready if a bad metahuman - a version of Superman who isn't decent - decides to attack Earth. Then a witch, who is under their supposed control of this secret agency, sneaks off and creates an army to destroy the world. Now the criminal antiheroes are called in to rescue an important person trapped in the city where the witch is creating her destruction.


My review:

Overall, I enjoyed Suicide Squad. It has a lot of action. And it showed some of the backstory to a few characters that I wasn't aware of. I didn't know Harley Quinn was Joker's psychiatrist. It comes with the typical DC comics mantra of 'we aren't born monsters, we're made monsters'. I must admit that her 'Daddy's Lil Monster' t-shirt I've seen her wear had me envisaging another way she'd been made bad. So it was a delight to be totally wrong on that point. And it shows how out of touch I am with some of these comic book characters.

But the movie also a lot of the same old, same old. Thousands of warriors against a small number of saviours. I like action, but I do tire of the endless, facing-insurmountable-odds-yet they-win battle scenes. Then everything is destroyed and don't these people know how long it takes to rebuild a city and nobody is held accountable? But that's me. Defender of the office block.

Adding to the DC mantra of 'we aren't born monsters, we're made monsters' is the plotline of the same person who set up the task force is the same person who created the whole need for rescue mission in the first place. It's classic villain profiling - control the beast and then send in someone to kill the beast when it bites you. I'm still not sure I like this storyline. Surely it was to be expected. Anyway...


Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn played an incredibly fearless character. Jared Leto as the Joker was also pretty fearless. I can see why Harley Quinn got more of a role in this movie than the Joker. Not that the Joker in this movie is a dud, but we've seen this character before. And there were so many other characters that there simply wasn't time to spotlight them all for too long. I can definitely see more movies and side movies following, because of the number of characters. With the popularity of anime, Katana could have a series of her own. I'm sure it's already underway.

Director David Ayer had 6 weeks to write the script, given that the date of production was set. And we have to be introduced to the characters which takes time. As a side note here, I'm an author and we're often roasted over the coals for taking too long to get to the story. Yet Hollywood can do it over and over, especially with these remakes of DC characters. This works if there is one or two characters, but there are many in this that all seemed to need a back story. In fact, there are dozens of characters in the Suicide Squad. They will need to find a way to get to the 'how' if they are to introduce any more characters.

I can imagine how hard it would be to condense so much back story and story into one movie, and apparently there were many scenes cut from the final film.

It was a good antihero film. Superheroes are enjoying a rise in popularity but like everything, their light may fade and we may see the rise of more antihero films.

I'd give it 3.5 stars, maybe 4. It was good, not brilliant. And I'd watch the whole series though and hope that the next director has a bit longer than 6 weeks to write the script.

BTW - Margot Robbie stole the show. Go Margot!!

No comments:

Post a Comment